Senate Bill 1304, passed by the 81st Texas Legislature, directs institutions of higher education to provide notices to students (Texas Education Code, Section 56.014) Notice to Students Regarding Tuition Set Aside for Financial Assistance) who pay designated tuition of the amount of the tuition that is set aside for financial assistance. Therefore, Texarkana College is required by law (Texas Education Code, Section 56.033 (3)) to set aside a certain portion of a student’s tuition for financial assistance programs.
- Community colleges are required to set aside at least:
- 6 percent out of each resident student’s hourly tuition charge excluding out-of-district charges. This set aside applies to resident students taking academic and career and technical education courses.
- $1.50 out of each non-resident student’s hourly charge for academic courses.
- Notifications are sent to students via e-mail.
- The set aside does not affect your student financial aid and it does not guarantee that you will personally receive financial assistance. The financial assistance that you receive is determined by the information you provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.
Example of the Financial Assistance Programs funded from tuition set-asides are: