Enroll in Adult Education & Literacy Classes
Ready to finish what you’ve started? We have High School Equivalency classes (GED) as well as English as a Second Language (ESL) courses to help you get your education where you want it to be. Enroll today in our program.
On This Page
Program Quick Facts
Varies based on student’s skill level, motivation, and time commitment.
Classes are no cost; Students are required to pay for practice tests and official exams.
Day classes; Night classes
Where it is offered
Adult Education & Literacy Free Classes
- TxCHSE – Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency (GED)
- ESL – English as a Second Language
- College and Career Readiness – College Entrance Assistance (TSIA, TABE, TEAS)
- Integrated Education Training – (Workforce or Training Courses)
- Integrated Education & Training Program in Allied Health, view Allied Health program flyer
- Complete the online Enrollment Form and submit a copy of a driver’s license or state identification.
(Please review eligibility requirements below.)
- All 17 and 18 year-olds must complete the Self-Attestation of School Withdrawal Form.
- You will receive an automated email within 24 hours.
- You will be required to schedule and complete an assessment. (Assessments are given on campus in the Business and Computer Technology Building during the first two weeks of the month. See information on TABE Sessions.)
- Attend an Academic Enrichment Sessions. (See information in Academic Enrichment section.)
- Classes begin once a month after the Academic Enrichment Session.
Two forms of identification are required: Texas driver’s license/ID card or birth certificate and Social Security card.
TxCHSE and ESL Students
- Cannot be enrolled in high school
- 16-year old must have a court order and a parent/guardian signature
- 17 & 18-year-old must have an official withdrawal from last school attended and a parent/guardian signature
Basic Skills Students
- College Student TSIA Testing at levels 1-4
- TABE below 12th grade skills level
- TEAS V Overall below 60%, Reading below 69%, Science below 45%
- Have a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate
- Be enrolled in training program provided by TC Community and Business Program
TABE Testing Sessions
- Testing sessions last three hours and begin at 9 a.m.; 1 p.m.; and 5 p.m.
- A testing day and time must be scheduled.
- Testing will be in the Business and Computer Technology Building Room 9.
- Available dates
- Sept. 6
- Oct. 4
- Nov. 1
- Dec. 6
After completing enrollment paperwork and the assessment, new students are required to attend one two-hour session before starting classes. Report to the Business and Computer Technology Building – Room 9.
Fall 2023 Dates
- Sept. 12, 9:30 am
- Sept. 13, 6:00 pm
- Oct. 10, 9:30 am
- Oct. 10, 6:00 pm
- Nov. 7, 9:30 am
- Nov. 8, 6:00 pm
- Dec. 12, 9:30 am
- Dec. 13, 6:00 pm
*If viewing on mobile phone or device limits your content viewing, please rotate device to horizontal/landscape perspective.
High School Equivalency/GED Classes
|Morning – Regular (Monday – Thursday 9:00-12:00 p.m.)|
|Monday||RLA||9:00-12:00 p.m.||L. Jones||Room 6|
|Tuesday||Science & Social Studies||9:00-12:00 p.m.||Baker||Room 6|
|Wednesday||Math||9:00-12:00 p.m.||Coleman||Room 6|
|Thursday||Math Workshop||9:00-12:00||Coleman||Room 6|
|Monday and Wednesday||Spanish GED – All Subjects||12:30-2:30 p.m.||Obando||Virtual|
|Tuesday||Math||9:30-11:30 a.m.||Young||Room 5 – This class is assigned.|
|Evening (Monday – Wednesday 6-8 p.m.)|
|Monday||RLA||6-8 p.m.||Tirrito||Room 6|
|Tuesday||Social Studies & Science||6-8 p.m.||Cain||Room 6|
|Wednesday||Math||6-8 p.m.||Caldwell||Room 4|
|Tuesday||Math||6-8 p.m.||Young||Room 5 – This class is assigned.|
|Texarkana Workforce Center (Monday – Tuesday 8:30-12:30)|
|Monday – Tuesday||All Subjects||8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Coleman||WF Classroom|
|Cass County – Atlanta High School (Monday and Wednesday 6-8 p.m.)|
|Monday & Wednesday||All Subjects||6-8 p.m.||Giles||Career & Technology Building Room 305|
|All Subjects||Varying times||Obando|
English as a Second Language Classes – Texarkana College
|Monday||English||9:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.||Owney||Room 4|
|Wednesday||English||9:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.||Owney||Room 4|
|Monday||English||5-8 p.m.||Owney||Room 4|
IET Classes – Texarkana College
|Monday and Wednesday||Allied Health||3:30-5:30||Baker||Room 6|
|Wednesday||Allied Health||6-8||Baker||Room 6|
Women’s Recovery Center Classes
|Monday – Thursday||GED||12:30-2 p.m.||TBD||WRC Classroom|
|Monday||CCR||4-5:30 p.m.||Tirrito||WRC Classroom|
GED Testing Center
Funding is available to pay for GED exams for program participants who qualify. A participant must be enrolled in the program, meet attendance requirements, be 21 years or older, a Texas resident with a government ID, and score ready on the GED Ready exam.
The GED tests are offered year-round. To register and schedule a test date, go to www.ged.com. and setup your MyGED account. The website gives you access to study guides, test scores, test tips, testing center locations, test day schedules, and more.
Candidates must be eighteen years of age and hold a valid Texas photo ID such as a driver’s license, which is required before testing. Other acceptable IDs include a military ID, a passport, or any other government issued ID (Texas residency must be proven). Candidates younger than eighteen years of age will require special approval from the State of Texas before they can schedule any tests. Details for the process are included on the website.
GED Testing Information
The GED test is administered by computer only. There are four areas tested: Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science. The fee for each test is $36.25, which can be paid by-the-test if preferred. The total cost for all tests is $145. Costs for retake tests will vary. All payments must be made directly to the GED Testing Service at www.ged.com or (877) 392 6433 by credit or debit card only. Payment will not be made to Adult Education and Literacy.
Students needing special accommodations for testing must get approval directly from the GED Testing Service at www.ged.com or (877) 392 6433.
Copies of GED Certificates and Transcripts
Certificates and transcripts can be requested at www.ged.com once tests have been completed and passed.
GED Testing Service (National) – https://www.gedtestingservice.com/educators/home
The Texas Certificate/Transcript Search is used to obtain a free verification letter or a printable PDF containing the Certificate of High School Equivalency and test scores for $5.00. The printable PDF will include a diploma-style certificate suitable for framing and a transcript with test dates and scores. Purchases can be made by credit card or check (automated clearing house). The certificates and verifications must be printed during this transaction. https://tea4avtuna.tea.state.tx.us/Tea.TxChse.Web/Forms/CertificateSearch.aspx
- Burlington English
- Cambridge/Ventures (ESL)
- Crash Course
- Essential Education
- GED Testing Services
- Khan Academy
- Math Assistance Call Center
- Mometrix Test Preparation
- Paxen Skills Tutor
- PBS Evolution Library
- Texarkana College TRIO Educational Opportunity Center
- Texas A&M University Directory of Literacy Providers
- Texas Workforce Commission Adult Education & Literacy Teachers & Providers
- Workforce Solutions Northeast Texas
We’re located in the Business and Computer Technology Building on the Texarkana College campus. Our office hours are
9 am – 5 pm, Monday – Thursday
5 pm – 8 pm, Tuesday & Wednesday
9 am – 4 pm, Friday
Offices: 8, 10, 21
Rooms: 4, 5, 6, 7, 9