The Certified Nurse Aide Course at Texarkana College is a course designed to prepare students to take the state certification test with National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). This 80 hour course prepares entry level nursing assistants to achieve a level of knowledge, skills and abilities essential to provide basic care to patients and/or residents of hospitals, assisted living and long-term care facilities as patient care technicians or home-health aides. The course consists of 80 classroom theory and lab instruction, and 64 hours of clinical experience. The following is required to register for the course and participants must present documentation before acceptance.
To prepare nurse aides with the knowledge, skills and abilities essential for the provision of basic care to residents in long-term care facilities. After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- provide basic care to residents of long-term care facilities.
- communicate and interact effectively with residents and their families, with sensitivity to the psychosocial needs of residents.
- assist residents in attaining and maintaining maximum functional independence.
- protect, support and promote the rights of residents.
- provide safety and preventive measures in the care of residents.
- demonstrate skill in observing, reporting and documentation.
- function effectively as a member of the health care team.
- 11 weeks
- 100 hours
- Approximate total cost is $650
Classes will be held in:
Health Science Building, Room 255
Instructor: Arthalia Hardy, RN