Texarkana College is dedicated to facilitating the growth and development of enrolled students in becoming competent entry-level pharmacy technicians to function within the healthcare community they serve. Students will learn the theory of the pharmacy profession including both institutional and retail/community pharmacy essentials. Upon completion of this program, students will gain growth and development in becoming pharmacy technicians with high ethics, professionalism, effective communication skills, critical thinking skills, clinical competency, and the highest quality patient care in mind.
Pharmacy Technician Program Admission Requirements
- A college Application for Admission indicating Pharmacy Technician as your major and the date of desired enrollment. Students must meet all TC admission requirements.
- A personal guidance interview with the Health Sciences Enrollment Specialist. Call for an appointment. (903) 823-3401
- An official high school transcript or GED scores and transcripts from all other colleges attended. Students in the Pharmacy Technician Program must be 18 years or older to enroll.
- Any student on suspension or probation must be cleared through the Admissions Office.
- Prior to acceptance, a negative drug screen will be required. This is not required until notification in writing of “Conditional Acceptance” into the Pharmacy Technician program has been sent.
- Hepatitis B vaccination series. NOTE: It takes 6 months to complete the vaccine series. Allow time for this prior to application/entry. If you have questions, please contact the Pharmacy Technician Program Coordinator.
- Tetanus-diphtheria vaccine within the last 10 years.
- Proof of a Negative TB skin test or negative chest x-ray within six months prior to starting the program.
- Measles, Mumps & Rubella vaccine. (MMR)
- Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of vaccination of two doses of measles-containing vaccine administered SINCE January 1, 1968 (preferably MMR vaccine).
- Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of vaccination of one dose of mumps vaccine.
- Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of vaccination of one dose of the rubella vaccine.
- Return checklist to the Health Sciences Enrollment Specialist with an original signature and date.
Completion of one’s file does not constitute admission to the Pharmacy Technician program. It is your responsibility to complete the appropriate admissions requirements by the stated deadlines. In addition, be aware that Texarkana College Health Sciences Division requires pre-admission drug screening for this program. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be mailed to all candidates. Make certain your correct mailing address is on file.
Pharmacy Technician Program Requirements
After gaining conditional acceptance into the Pharmacy Technician Program, students must register as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. The fee for this registration is not included in Texarkana College tuition and fees. This process will include fingerprinting and a criminal background check. It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed by the State Board of Pharmacy. Applicants who are denied a trainee certificate cannot fulfil the program requirements.
Pharmacy Technician / Assistant
Level One Certificate Plan
|First Semester||Hours||Second Semester||Hours|
Introduction to Pharmacy
Institutional Pharmacy Practice
Pharmacotherapy & Disease Process
Community Pharmacy Practice
Pharmaceutical Mathematics I
Pharmacy Technician Certification Review
Clinical – Pharmacy Technician
Please be advised that licensure for this program includes a criminal background check. If you have a question about this action, please speak to the division dean.