Welcome to the Adult Education & Literacy Program.
We’re located at the corner of Tucker Street and Johnson Avenue on the Texarkana College campus in the Physical Science Building, across the street from the TC Apartments – Building 8 on the Campus Map.
Our office hours are 8 am – 5 pm, Monday – Thursday; 8 am – 4 pm, Friday.
|Lisa Jones||Director||Ext 3460|
|Sacoyle Baker||Career Navigator||Ext 3462|
|Dr. Glorious Melton||Professional Development Coordinator / Instructor||Ext 3463|
|Karen Ottinger||Administrative Assistant / Data Entry||Ext 3461|
|Georgia Fricks||Distance Learning Coordinator / Instructor||Ext 3467|
|Kippie Hartcraft||Instructional Lead / Instructor||Ext 3468|
|Ann Coleman||Quality Assurance|
and Lead for Performance Accountability / Instructor
|(903) 794-4163 ext 141|
|Karen Nettleton||Instructor||Ext 3461|
|Agnes Tirrito||Instructor||Ext 3468|
|William Owney||Instructor||Ext 3465|
AE&L provides free classes for the following areas:
TxCHSE – Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency (GED, HiSet)
ESL – English as a Second Language
Basic Skills – College Entrance Assistance (TSIA, TABE, TEAS)
Integrated Education Training – (Workforce or Training Courses)
Integrated Education & Training Program in Allied Health
- Complete the online Enrollment Form and submit a copy of a driver’s license or state identification.
(Please review eligibility requirements below.)
- Read the Program Overview and complete the Program Overview Agreement Form.
- All 17 and 18 year-olds must complete the Self-Attestation of School Withdrawal Form.
- A staff member will call or email you with the next steps within 48 hours.
- You will be required to schedule and complete an assessment. (Assessments are given on campus in the Physical Sciences Building on Tuesdays: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. or 1-4 p.m. or 6-9 p.m.
- Attend two Academic Enrichment Sessions. (The email you receive will contain the next available date for these sessions and a class start date.)
- Classes begin once a month after the Academic Enrichment Sessions.
Two forms of identification are required: Texas driver’s license/ID card and Social Security card
TxCHSE and ESL Students
- Cannot be enrolled in high school
- 16-year old must have a court order and a parent/guardian signature
- 17 & 18-year-old must have an official withdrawal from last school attended and a parent/guardian signature
Basic Skills Students
- College Student TSIA Testing at levels 1-4
- TABE below 12th grade skills level
- TEAS V Overall below 60%, Reading below 69%, Science below 45%
- Be enrolled in program and attending regularly
- Pass two or four/five TxCHSE exams OR complete TxCHSE
Students do not pay for the classroom instruction.
Students are required to pay for practice tests and official high school equivalency exams.
Length of Program:
A student’s skill level, motivation, and time commitment determine the program length.
- Burlington English
- Crash Course
- GED Testing Services
- High School Equivalency Tests
- Khan Academy
- PBS Evolution Library
- PLATO Course
- TASC Test Assessing Secondary Completion
- Texarkana College TRIO Educational Opportunity Center
- Texas A&M University Directory of Literacy Providers
- Texas Workforce Commission Adult Education & Literacy Teachers & Providers
Sites and Class Meeting In-Person and Virtual Schedule – Fall 2020
Cass County, Atlanta, Queen City
|Atlanta High School Career and Technology Building||Courses Offered||Instructor||Days||Times|
|Room 305||High School Equivalency Preparation
English as a Second Language
|Karen Nettleton||Monday and Tuesday||6-8 p.m.|
|Texarkana College Physical Science Building||Courses Offered||Instructor||Days||Times|
|Corner of Tucker St. and Johnson Ave.
Texarkana, TX 75503
|IET Allied Health||Hartcraft||Monday||1:30-3:30 p.m.|
|HSE Math and Science||Hartcraft||Monday||6-8 p.m.|
|HSE Math and Science||Hartcraft||Tuesday||9:30-11:30 a.m.|
|Basic Skills||Hartcraft||Wednesday||1:30-3:30 p.m.|
|HSE ELA and Social Studies||Tirrito||Wednesday||6-8 p.m.|
|HSE ELA and Social Studies||Tirrito||Thursday||9:30-11:30 a.m.|
|English as a Second Language||Tirrito||Thursday||1-3 p.m.|
|Texarkana Workforce Solutions||Courses Offered||Instructor||Days||Times|
|1702 Hampton Road|
Texarkana, TX 75501
|High School Equivalency
Preparation & Basic Skills
|Ann Coleman||Monday-Thursday||8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.|
Testing and Transcripts
GED Testing Center
The GED tests are offered year-round. To register and schedule a test date, go to www.ged.com. and setup your MyGED account. The website gives you access to study guides, test scores, test tips, testing center locations, test day schedules, and more.
Candidates must be eighteen years of age and hold a valid Texas photo ID such as a driver’s license, which is required before testing. Other acceptable IDs include a military ID, a passport, or any other government issued ID (Texas residency must be proven). Candidates younger than eighteen years of age will require special approval from the State of Texas before they can schedule any tests. Details for the process are included on the website.
GED Testing Information
The GED test is administered by computer only. There are four areas tested: Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, and Science. The fee for each test is $36.25, which can be paid by-the-test if preferred. The total cost for all tests is $145. Costs for retake tests will vary. All payments must be made directly to the GED Testing Service at www.ged.com or (877) 392 6433 by credit or debit card only. Payment will not be made to Adult Education and Literacy.
Students needing special accommodations for testing must get approval directly from the GED Testing Service at www.ged.com or (877) 392 6433.
Grades and transcripts can be requested at www.ged.com once tests have been completed and passed.
GED Testing Service (National) – https://www.gedtestingservice.com/educators/home
The Texas Certificate/Transcript Search is used to obtain a free verification letter or a printable PDF containing the Certificate of High School Equivalency and test scores for $5.00. The printable PDF will include a diploma-style certificate suitable for framing and a transcript with test dates and scores. Purchases can be made by credit card or check (automated clearing house). The certificates and verifications must be printed during this transaction.