Veterans and military families – welcome to Texarkana College!  The TC Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office is here to help you navigate the college admissions process, apply for and use educational benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs, and attend Texarkana College. Whether you are just now transitioning out of military life or are seeking a degree decades after your discharge, we strive to be your advocate and aid on campus.

The Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office (located on the first floor of the Nelson Administration Building) is the official point of contact at Texarkana College for all federal VA educational benefits, the Texas Hazlewood Act, and military Tuition Assistance through the Department of Defense.  This office should also be a veteran’s or Service member’s designated first point of contact for academic and financial aid advising, including access to disability counseling, to assist them with completion of studies and with job search activities.

Learn About Available Benefits

If you are considering college, know your options! Veterans with an honorable discharge (or in certain limited cases, with a “general – under honorable conditions” discharge) usually qualify for some form of service-related educational assistance. The variety of options can be a bit confusing, but the key is to narrow down your search and not be afraid to ask questions.

As a first step, you might investigate the TC web pages for federal VA Educational Benefits and the Hazelwood Exemption, which have links to the official web sites for the veteran educational benefit programs they describe. Also, feel free to contact the TC Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office for more information about how the different programs work and compare to one another. Finally, the authoritative source of all info about educational benefits and your eligibility for them is the Department of Veterans Affairs (1-888-442-4551), which will be happy to give counsel, information, and advice.

Apply for Federal VA Benefits

Now that you know what benefit program you wish to request, you must apply for it. The key to success here is to start early. The Department of Veterans Affairs processes millions of claims each year, and “procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on theirs.”

You can apply online or by mailing paper forms.  The VA and Texarkana College suggest applying online if you are comfortable doing so – it’s free, secure, and faster because no one has to re-type your document once it is received.  To apply online, please visit, click on Apply For Educational Benefits, and click Select Correct Form. If you prefer to apply using a paper application, contact the Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office or a local VA office for forms.

Once you have submitted your application, expect a turnaround time of 4-6 weeks; applications submitted during peak registration months may take longer (June – August, November – January). After the VA makes a decision on your claim, they will send a letter to the mailing address you provided on your application either denying your claim or granting you a “Certificate of Eligibility” for educational benefits.

Apply for Hazelwood Benefits

Unlike federal VA benefits, eligibility for the Hazelwood Exemption is determined by each individual college. Students wishing to apply for the Hazelwood Exemption at Texarkana College should read our college’s Hazelwood information page, then submit their application directly to the TC Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office. Please allow at least 2 weeks for processing, especially during peak registration months.

Visit the Financial Aid and Veteran Services Office

After you receive your “Certificate of Eligibility,” bring it to the TC Financial Aid Office and speak to one of our VA certifying officials. They will go over your educational benefits with you and explain how to use them. They will also have you fill out several new forms for new students using VA benefits at Texarkana College. If you would like to fill these forms out in advance, please download and submit the packet available in PDF format below.

Please note that this packet is not required for Hazelwood Exemption recipients.

Make a Plan of Action for Admissions

As a veteran, you know that one of the keys to a successful mission is to have clearly-defined objectives. The same is true for the college admissions process! The Office of Veterans Services has put together a checklist that summarizes the main requirements for admission at Texarkana College.

Veteran Admissions Checklist

Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and certain programs may have additional requirements beyond what is listed here. If you will visit the offices and people it suggests, however, they will point you in the right direction and ensure you are 100% ready for the semester ahead.

Veteran Benefit Packet

Know the Costs, Meet the Deadlines

It’s important to know the full cost of your program to confirm that your military benefit will completely cover it. In addition to tuition and fees directly assessed by the college, you may also need to plan ahead to budget for some items not charged by Texarkana College, but related to attending college generally. (This includes things like the cost of room and board in our area or the cost of transportation to get back and forth from college.) Please click the prompt below to answer three questions to see the “Cost of Attendance budget” calculated by the TC Financial Aid Office for a student within your category:

Cost of Attendance Estimator

You can also visit TC’s Online Bookstore to see the exact cost of the books and supplies for your courses.

In accordance with the Isakson and Roe Act of 2020, students using Chapter 30, 31, or 33 VA Educational Benefits (a.k.a. the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty, or Veteran Readiness and Employment) qualify for in-state tuition as long as they physically reside in the state of Texas, regardless of how long they have lived in-state. If you have questions about this provision, or if you believe you qualify for in-state tuition as a result of it and are not currently receiving tuition at the in-state rate, please contact the TC Financial Aid Office at

Finally, you should also be aware of deadlines related to financial aid and registration. The statewide priority deadline for financial aid in the state of Texas is January 15. Those who complete their FAFSA before this date will receive first priority for all state financial aid.

Texarkana College also has internal priority deadlines for each semester. If you complete your FAFSA and turn in all required documentation by these priority deadlines, we can guarantee we will have your financial aid application fully evaluated and any VA benefits or military Tuition Assistance processed prior to the start of the new semester. If you submit your paperwork after the priority deadlines, we will continue to work on it but can no longer guarantee completion prior to the payment deadline. Depending on the exact nature of your benefit or financial aid, you may need to make a down-payment and later be reimbursed when your financial aid or military-related benefits finish processing.

Please be advised of upcoming deadlines:


Becky Fant
VA Certifying Official
(903) 823-3010

Jesse Hausler
Veteran Services Specialist
(903) 823-3352

(903) 823-3012

Veterans Services is located in the Administration building, in the Financial Aid offices

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at