The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requires students to be assessed in reading, math, and writing prior to enrolling in college. Beginning in the Fall of 2013, Texas only accepts the TSI Assessment as fulfillment for this requirement. All students must complete a Pre-Assessment Activity before they can take the TSI. The Pre-Assessment Activity can be found at https://www.tsipreview.com/welcome/Texarkana-College.
Upon completion of the Activity, the student will be emailed verification that he/she has completed the activity. Students must then take a copy of this email to an Advisor in the Advising Center. The Advisor will then give the student a referral form to take to the Testing Center. Upon payment of the testing fee, the student will be allowed to take the TSI Assessment. Once the TSI Assessment has been completed, the student will receive a copy of his/her scores to take back to the Advising Center. If indicated by the scores on the assessment, the Advisor will place the student in developmental education courses.
Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Exemptions
Transfer coursework from an out-of-state institution with a grade of C or better in certain courses;
- Transfer coursework from a regionally accredited state, private, or independent institution of higher education in Texas with a grade of C or better in certain courses;
- Active duty military service or members of reserve armed forces serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment;
- Student who on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States;
- Earned Associate or Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education;
- ACT composite score of 23 or higher with a minimum of 19 on the math and/or English sections (scores are good for 5 years);
- SAT Scores
- SAT taken prior to March 2016: SAT total score of 1070 combined with a minimum of 500 on the math test and/or 500 on the critical reading test (scores are good for 5 years);
- SAT taken on or after March 5, 2016: 480 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and/or 530 on the math test. There is no combined score;
- Combining scores from the SAT taken prior to March 2016 and the SAT taken on or after March 5, 2016 is not allowable.
- TAKS (exit level): 2200 ELA + 3 on essay; 2200-MATH; (scores are good for 5 years)
- STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment required under this title for the mathematics section.
- Students with previous TASP exemptions may be determined to have satisfied TSI criteria
- A student who successfully completes a college preparatory course under Texas Education Code §28.014 is exempt for a period of twenty-four (24) months from the date of high school graduation with respect to the content area of the course. The student must enroll in the student’s first college-level course in the exempted content area in the student’s first year of enrollment in an institution of higher education. This exemption applies only at the institution of higher education that partners with the school district in which the student is enrolled to provide the course.
- Non-degree or non-certificate seeking student
- Enrollment in most Level 1 certificate programs
Workforce & Certificate Requirements
All students must take the TABE exam and meet with an Advisor in the Advising Office. The following programs require that a student make a certain score on the TABE exam:
- Auto Body Technology (TABE score of 8.7)
- Automotive Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Certified Nurse Assistant (Reading TABE score of 8.7; Math TABE score of 8.6)
- Cosmetology (TABE score of 12.5+)
- Construction Technology (TABE score of 8.7)
- Culinary Arts (TABE score of 8.9)
- Diesel Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Electronics/Instrumentation Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Electrical Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Emergency Medical Technician (Reading TABE score of 12.5+; Math TABE score of 12.2+)
- Air Conditioning/Heating & Refrigeration Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Industrial Maintenance (TABE score of 8.9)
- Office Careers (TABE score of 12.5+)
- Pharmacy Technician (Reading TABE score of 9.4; Math TABE score of 8.9)
- Welding (TABE score of 8.9)