The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requires students to be assessed in reading, math, and writing prior to enrolling in college. Beginning in the Fall of 2013, Texas only accepts the TSI Assessment as fulfillment for this requirement. All students must complete a Pre-Assessment Activity before they can take the TSI. The Pre-Assessment Activity can be found at https://www.tsipreview.com/welcome/Texarkana-College.
Upon completion of the Activity, the student will be emailed completion verification. Students must then take a copy of this email to an Advisor in Enrollment Services. The Advisor will then give the student a referral form to take to the Testing Center. Upon payment of the testing fee, the student will be allowed to take the TSI Assessment. Once the TSI Assessment has been completed, the student will receive a copy of his/her scores to take back to Enrollment Services. If indicated by the scores on the assessment, the Advisor will place the student in developmental education courses.
- Transfer coursework from an out-of-state institution with a grade of C or better in certain courses.
- Active duty military service or members of reserve armed forces serving for at least 3 years preceding enrollment
Workforce and Vocational Certificate Requirements
All students must take the TABE exam and meet with an Advisor in the Advising Office. The following programs require that a student make a certain score on the TABE exam:
- Auto Body Technology (TABE score of 8.6)
- Automotive Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Certified Nurse Assistant (Reading TABE score of 8.7; Math TABE score of 8.6)
- Cosmetology (TABE score of 12.5+)
- Construction Technology (TABE score of 8.7)
- Culinary Arts (TABE score of 8.9)
- Diesel Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Electronics/Instrumentation Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Electrical Technology (TABE score of 8.9)
- Air Conditioning/Heating & Refrigeration Technology (TABE score of 9.0)
- Industrial Maintenance (TABE score of 8.9)
- Office Careers (TABE score of 12.5+)
- Welding (TABE score of 8.9)