Mandatory Information Session
Every student must attend a mandatory information session. There is a limit of 25 per session, so please register early by calling the Health Sciences Enrollment Management Specialist at 903-823-3351.
For your information
- Experience in a health care agency is recommended prior to admissions (volunteer, nurse’s aide, etc).
- Notification of acceptance will be mailed to all candidates. Any questions after the deadline date should be directed to the Enrollment Management Specialist.
- There is no waiting list. Students who are not accepted into the class must re-apply for the next class.
- Register for a Mandatory Informational Session with the Enrollment Management Specialist (EMS) at (903) 823-3351.
- A college Application for Admission indicating Vocational Nursing as your major, and the date of desired enrollment.
- A personal guidance interview with the EMS. Appointments are required. Call 903-823-3401 to set up appointment.
- Entrance exam/TSI: All applicants must satisfy the requirements of the Texas Success Initiative. A copy of scores must be submitted with application.
- An official high school transcript or GED scores and transcripts from all colleges attended. High School seniors must submit a 7-semester transcript with a completed transcript to be on file 2 weeks prior to registration.
- Overall GPA and Nursing GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Completion of Anatomy & Physiology (A&P) I and II with labs. You must have a grade of “C” or higher in these courses. These courses must be completed prior to the first day of VN class. A&P courses may be transferred.
- Take the TEAS entrance exam. You must have an overall minimum score of 50 to be eligible for entry.
- Any student on suspension or probation must be cleared through the Admissions Office.
- Successful completion of American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers. This is available from the Texarkana College Continuing Education. Card/Certificate must not expire prior to the expected date of graduation.
- Prior to full acceptance into the program, students must: pass a physical examination, have a negative drug screen, and receive a satisfactory criminal background check from the TX Board of Nursing. (These are not required until notification in writing of “Conditional Acceptance” into the nursing program has been received.)
- Completed Hepatitis B vaccine series. NOTE: It takes 4-6 months to complete the vaccine series. Allow time for this prior to application. If you have any questions, please contact the EMS.
- Return checklist to the Enrollment Management Specialist with an original signature and date.
Completion of one’s file does not constitute admission to the Nursing Program. Please be aware that it is your responsibility to complete the appropriate admissions requirements by the stated deadlines.
Any student who is dismissed from the Vocational Nursing (VN) program due to Professional and/or Ethical violations is not eligible for re-entry into the VN program. In addition, any student who has had a Clinical failure due to unsafe clinical practice is not eligible for re-entry into the VN program.
Candidates for re-admission to the nursing program must complete the re-admission procedures. Re-admission into the program will be considered on an individual basis and on a space availability basis. A student who leaves the program for any reason other than an Ethical violation or Clinical failure will be permitted one other opportunity to re-enroll. Students must apply for re-entry into the program within 12 months after leaving the program. The re-entering student must complete courses as prescribed by the nursing department. Some courses may need to be repeated. If the request for re-admission is greater than one year, the student will be required to re-enter as a beginning student.
NOTE: The student accepted for re-admission will be under the current policy and procedures of the Health Sciences Division program at the time of re-admission. Candidates who re-apply, meet the criteria, and are accepted for readmission will be offered two opportunities to re-enter the program. If the candidate declines re-entry both times, they are removed from the list of applicants and will be required to apply as a new applicant into first semester.
Steps for Re-admission
- Complete the Health Sciences Division Application for Re-entry form.
- Have a personal guidance interview with the Enrollment Management Specialist (EMS). Appointments are encouraged but not necessary. Inform the EMS that you have been enrolled in the Vocational Nursing Program previously.
- Have a conference with the Dean or his/her designee.
- The student will be required to have a current physical examination and negative drug screen. The student will also have a clear criminal background check through the Texas BON. These are not required until notification in writing of “Conditional Acceptance” into the nursing program has been received.
Transfer applicants, includes ADN transfers
Transfer students will be evaluated and placed in the Vocational Nursing Program on an individual basis, as space allows.
Steps for Transfer/admission
- Complete the First Admission process. (Admission scores from other programs or a college GPA may be accepted).
- Have a personal guidance interview with the Enrollment Management Specialist.
- Submit course syllabi of previous nursing classes.
- Sign permission for obtaining a letter of reference from previous school of nursing.
- Prior to acceptance, a physical examination, negative drug screen and satisfactory criminal background check. These are not required until notification in writing of “Conditional Acceptance” into the nursing program has been received.