This guide will walk you through the basics of settings up your account with Multifactor Authentication using the Microsoft Authenticator App.
- For Android and Apple smart phones, install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Using a computer open a web browser and log in to your TC email (https://outlook.office.com).
- If multifactor authentication is enabled on your account and has not been previously configured, you should be prompted with a More information required screen. Click Next to complete the MFA registration.*Note: If you are not getting the “more information required” screen and have not previously setup multifactor, please contact the Helpdesk or submit a ticket to get assistance.
- After clicking Next, you should be at Step 1: How should we contact you? At this screen, specify the device and method you will use for security verification. We recommend selecting Mobile App and Require notifications for verification options. Click the Set up button.
- On your mobile phone open the Microsoft Authenticator app, select add an account. Select Work or school account.
- Select Scan a QR Code.
- Scan the QR image on the Configure mobile app screen with your mobile phone and click Next .
- It should check your activation status and once complete the Next button will change from grey to blue. Click Next.*Note: If the Next button is still greyed out and you are unable to click it, remove the account on your mobile phone and try scanning the QR code again.
- Step 2: Let’s make sure that we can reach you on your Mobile App device. You should receive a push notification on your mobile phone, select Approve on your mobile phone and Next on the multifactor setup screen.
- Proceed to Step 3: In case you lose access to the mobile app. Select your country or region, enter your mobile phone number, and click Next.
- Step 4: Keep using your existing applications. Click Done.
You should now be logged in to your Microsoft account and will need to configure additional phone numbers in case you misplace or do not have your mobile phone. You can access the security verification screen by typing in the URL https://aka.ms/MFASetup.