Adjunct Instructor – Sociology
To instruct students in Sociology in accordance with College policies and procedures.
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in Sociology preferred. Minimum requirements: Master’s Degree with 18 graduate credits hours in field of Sociology.
- Effective teaching techniques adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Understanding the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline.
- Sensitive to issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively assisting student learning.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Being punctual for classes and office hours.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information. Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, class room or other current learning technologies for effective teaching at the community college level.
- Must be knowledgeable about and capable of using current technology in the classroom and able to teach effectively at a community college level.
- Successful collegiate or university teaching experience, especially at a community college preferred.
- Experience teaching courses in both lecture and online formats.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Teaching Undergraduate Sociology level courses.
- Instructs students in the Sociology discipline. Provides learning activities that stimulate student involvement and encourage critical thinking.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation in the field, and service in the profession and/or the community.
- Plans and organizes lesson plans, research and reference materials, syllabi, and other learning aids.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Department Chair, Dean, and/or Vice President.
Competitive, depending on qualifications and experience.