Phlebotomy Technician Online
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATE
Now you can study to become a certified healthcare professional at your own pace and within your schedule. The Phlebotomy Technician ONLINE program is offered by Texarkana College in conjunction with Health Ed Today with interactive learning modules, 24/7 mentoring, learning exercises, labs, and a student portal with career resources. To learn about this program and to enroll visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College.
The Phlebotomy Technician Profession
The phlebotomist is a vital member of the clinical laboratory team, whose main function is to obtain patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and microcollection for testing purposes. Phlebotomists are employed throughout the healthcare system including in hospitals, neighborhood health centers, medical group practices, HMO’s, public health facilities, veteran hospitals, insurance carriers, and in other healthcare settings. The demand for phlebotomy technicians has increased substantially with the overall complexity of healthcare services and the risks of infectious disease. Current healthcare industry experts predict a 15% increase in phlebotomy jobs by 2018.
The Phlebotomy Technician Program
The Phlebotomy Technician Program prepares professionals to collect blood and other specimens from clients for the purpose of laboratory analysis. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Process and procedures for collecting blood specimens for laboratory analysis
- All aspects of blood collection and related procedures
- The order of draw
- Universal precautions
- Skills to perform venipunctures completely and safely
- Terminology and related anatomy and physiology
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Several state and national certification exams exist to test the competency of aspiring phlebotomy technicians.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- The history of phlebotomy & the healthcare setting
- Quality assurance and legal issues
- Infection control, safety, first aid, & personal wellness
- Universal precautions including safety protocols and infection control
- Laboratory operations (e.g. safety, quality control)
- Blood banks and blood typing, lab departments and personnel
- Medical terminology and laboratory theory
- Human anatomy & physiology of the circulatory system
- Specimen collection, processing, and handling
- Blood collection equipment, additives, & order of draw
- Venipuncture specimen collection procedures
- Capillary puncture equipment and procedures
- Special collections and point-of-care testing
- Arterial puncture procedures
- Non-blood specimens and tests
- Pediatric and geriatric blood collection
- Blood and blood composition, blood tubes, coagulation, venipuncture protocols, etc.
- Heel puncture, protocol, practice, and syringe draws
- Respiratory, pneumonia and TB isolation protocol
- Laboratory skills and simulated/animated labs
These programs include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.
Each course includes:
- 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
- Online healthcare content that supplements each course
- Student and instructor collaboration
- Engaging labs, student exercises, course videos and animated simulations
- Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
- National and state certification opportunities
- A secure Student Portal which includes: career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
- Certain programs include clinical externships
Tuition includes all textbooks, workbooks and related course material.
How to Enroll
To learn about this program and to enroll visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College or call 903.823.3384.