Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the process of earning college credit for college-level learning acquired from other sources, such as work experience, professional training, military training, or open source learning from the web.
A student who can show he/she has the knowledge and/or ability may be able to earn credit for a specific class at Texarkana College without enrolling in it.
Prior Learning Guidelines
- Credit for Prior Learning evaluative processes must be initiated by the student requesting credit. Students must complete the Prior Learning Credit Application and turn it in to the Texarkana College Enrollment Services Office.
- Meet all Texarkana College admissions and TSI requirements.
- Complete six hours of Texarkana College non-developmental credit hours prior to receiving credit for prior learning.
- Provide official documentation (transcripts, license/certification, etc.) supporting the request for credit for prior learning.
- Academic credit will be awarded only for those courses directly applicable to curriculum requirements at Texarkana College and to the student’s declared certificate or degree program as outlined in college publications.
- No more than 50% of a credit certificate or Associate of Science/Associate of Arts degree may be earned through credit for prior learning. No more than 75% of an Associate of Applied Science degree may be earned through credit for prior learning.
- If necessary, pay assessment fees in the Student Accounts Office.
- Financial aid/veteran’s assistance is not available for Prior Learning credit.
Please be aware that credit for prior learning awarded at Texarkana College may not be applicable to certificates or degrees at other colleges or universities. A student who intends to transfer to another college or university should consult with a transfer advisor at that institution concerning the transferability of Texarkana College prior learning credit.