Student Spotlight: Katie Earnest

Katie Earnest, TC Graduate Spring 2017
Katie Earnest, TC Graduate Spring 2017

“I can travel virtually anywhere doing what I love… I’m my own boss and I love that!”

Katie Earnest, a Spring 2017 graduate of Texarkana College’s Cosmetology program, has opened the first mobile nail salon in the area. As a young and innovative entrepreneur, Katie got her start at TC through dual credit courses in high school and chased her dreams from there.

As a high school freshman, she dreamed of becoming a cosmetologist and looked forward to starting TC’s dual credit cosmetology program during her junior year at Queen City High School.

“I’ve always loved doing hair and nails but I wanted to learn techniques from professionals,” Earnest said. “My dual credit cosmetology instructors, Sher Jackson and Gena Edgar, helped me grow as a student, and I knew from the start I was where I needed to be.”

Earnest completed her high school cosmetology program by riding buses to the TC campus during the week in between her regular classes. Once she graduated from Queen City in May 2016, she required only two additional semesters through the college-level program to graduate.

“The college instructors helped me successfully complete my first ever men’s cut and one of my first professional hair color jobs during my first week in the college program,” Earnest said. “Instructors Teresa Benton and Ronda Dozier pushed each student to learn more and to be better every day, and it made me truly love the hands-on approach of the program.”

Also during her first year in college, Earnest began painting her grandmother’s nails every week. Although she did not concentrate on painting nails at school as much, she began to fall in love with designing nail art using paint and color.

“I have always loved doing my own nails, and as I learned more, I began to branch out with unique patterns and techniques,” Earnest said. “When I participated in TC’s annual avant-garde hair show, Shear Madness, I realized how fun it was to break the rules of design and really be creative with hair— so I just began to apply that same mindset to nails.”

When Earnest graduated in the spring of 2017 and earned her cosmetology license, she landed a job at Edge Salon in Texarkana. Although she loved her clientele, co-workers and boss, she began to feel herself being pulled in another direction. She knew she eventually wanted to own her own business, but she was unsure how to go about it until one day when her mother saw a mobile clothing boutique and told Earnest all about it.

“I just thought – ‘What a great idea!’” Earnest said. “This would allow me to travel virtually anywhere doing what I love, and no one in our area had thought to do the same thing yet!”

Earnest quit her job at the salon and bought an RV to remodel. With the help of her parents, she stripped the inside and turned it into a nail boutique that she could be proud of – complete with black and white checkered floors, a pedicure room, towel warmers and a waiting area. She named her business Pinkies Mobile Nail Boutique, and local graphics company Texarkana Digital Effects wrapped the RV in an eye-catching pink and black design. Her business was ready to be up and running.

Katie alongside her mobile RV
Katie alongside her mobile RV

“I have already traveled to a few events, and everyone loves having the nail boutique come to them,” Earnest said. “As long as a group books three appointments, I can come to almost any area and pamper people at their job or at home.”

Earnest offers a wide variety of services, from gel nails to powdered dipped nails to pedicures. Her designs can be simple or intricate, including marble nails.

“Being an entrepreneur is so rewarding because I am my own boss,” said Earnest. “I get to work when I want to, and I help make people feel relaxed and beautiful. I can’t wait to see where this adventure is going to take me.”

For more information about Pinkies Mobile Nail Boutique or to contact Earnest, call 903-280-2873 or email pinkiesmobilenailboutique@gmail.com.

Related to #TXsuccess, College Wide, Featured, TC Foundation