Educational Talent Search
The Texarkana College Educational Talent Search Program is a FREE service for eligible junior high and senior high school students. It is designed to alert students to the variety of Educational and Career options available, and to motivate them to complete high school and enroll in a College or other Educational Program.
How Do I Qualify for the Program?
The Texarkana College Educational Talent Search services are available to individuals between the ages of 12 and 19 who have an interest in, and potential to succeed in education beyond high school. Participants must meet the following criteria:
- U.S. Citizen (or legal alien)
- First generation college student (neither parent has completed a four-year degree)
- Have economic need.
- Have a need for services.
- Verification of income and academic records are required for participation.
- Educational Talent Search has been operating in the United States for more than 30 years.
- Thousands of students have been assisted through the efforts of specially trained Educational Specialists who serve students interested in continuing their education.
- Talent Search is funded by a grant from the United State Department of Education.
What Activities and Services Are Provided?
The Texarkana College Educational Talent Search Program assists students educationally and academically during the year through:
- Assistance in applying for college admission and financial aid
- ACT and/ or SAT registration, preparation and interpretation
- Career exploration workshops
- College Visits
- Cultural enrichment trips and events
- Individual Counseling
- Parent Workshops
Financial Aid and Admissions Help
Educational Specialists meet with participants to assist with understanding and applying for financial aid and admission. Financial Aid Workshops are held each year to assist students and parents in completing the FASFA application. Individual sessions with parents and students are also available and encouraged. Students are kept informed of application and admission deadlines and are encouraged to ask questions they may have about financial aid and admission requirements.
Educational Talent Search provides three Practice ACT Workshops per year. These sessions allow students the opportunity to complete a mock ACT test, grade, and receive their score the same day. These workshops inform the students of areas for needed improvement and help with test taking strategies.
Educational Talent Search also provides participants with admission to an intense ACT Preparation Workshop for each year to educate students and parents on best strategies and study tactics for improving their ACT score in the 4 areas.
Educational Talent Search provides transfer trips to four year universities and two year colleges in the 4 states area. These trips include tour of the campus, visits with admissions and financial aid offices.
Cultural Enrichments Trips
Educational Talent Search provides numerous Cultural Enrichment opportunities throughout the year. Past years events have included: Perot Theatre tickets, admission to Dallas Museum of Art, Memphis City Tour, and Guided tour of the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
Educational Specialists meet with participants throughout the year to assess the needs of each student.
Educational Talent Search provides connections to tutoring for their participants.