Dean and LaCretia Barry Presidential Scholarship Fund established at Texarkana College

DSC_0001.jpg

December 17, 2013- Wearing his “TC Blue” suede shoes, Dean Barry, along with his granddaughter Lindsey Fant, presented a donation of $25,000 in appreciated stock to establish a new endowed scholarship at Texarkana College. The stock certificate was presented to Texarkana College to establish the Dean and LaCretia Barry Presidential Scholarship fund.

“Many years ago in the late 1950s, I was a student at Texarkana College. I never imagined that I would be able to do something like this today,” Barry said. “I started out by taking classes in calculus and science because I thought this was the direction I would go in my career. I was able to explore different courses and ways of thinking at Texarkana College because it was affordable and accessible to me at the time. With help from professors at TC and the ability to explore a variety of fields, I was able to find the right path for me to take for my future.”

Dean Barry and his wife, LaCretia, decided to donate the stock to Texarkana College to help set an example for others to follow.  He noted that the stock market had experienced a record year, and he believes there are others in the community who could do the same to help TC.

“I am grateful to God that I am able to make this contribution to the College and that our granddaughter, Lindsey, is able to pursue her dreams here as well,” Barry said. “I hope that others will follow suit and make a donation before the end of the year. It helps with taxes and it will make a huge difference in the lives of students. It’s just the right thing to do.”

The endowment will be set up in the Texarkana College Foundation and managed as a Presidential Scholarship fund. To be eligible, a student must have graduated in the top 10 percent of their high school class, have an ACT score of 23 or SAT of 1620, list two character references and submit a personal essay. Presidential scholarships are awarded in the fall and are selected by a committee. Currently, Texarkana College has 26 established Presidential Scholarship funds.

For additional information or to make a donation, please contact Katie Andrus at (903) 823-3125 or katie.andrus@texarkanacollege.edu.