texarkana-college-history

History of the College

Texarkana College was established in 1927 as a public junior college and as a branch of the Texarkana, Texas Public School Systems governed by the Texarkana independent School District Board of Trustees. First located at 16th and Pine Streets, the campus was composed of classrooms, laboratories, offices and a gymnasium.

The College experienced a slow but steady growth from the 109 students in 1927 until the end of World War II at which time it became increasingly apparent that the growth in enrollment caused by returning veterans demanded expansion. Accordingly, a bond issue was included in a 1948 election to the tune of $40,000 to purchase a new campus and to finance construction. Twenty acres were purchased and construction of an administration building and gymnasium began in 1950. In 1953, the college relocated to its present site on Robison Road with an enrollment of 589 students.

In 1957, the Texarkana Independent School District Board of Trustees voted to “divest itself control, management and operation of the Texarkana Junior College District” and to create a separate Board of Trustees for Texarkana College to be comprised of nine members.

In 1971, Texarkana College joined forces with East Texas State University, which is now Texas A&M University/Texarkana (TAMU-T) in a uniquely cooperative venture that allows North East Texas residents greater access to higher education.

In 2012, voters in Bowie County approved a measure to expand the College’s tax district to encompass the whole county. For the first time in history, all Bowie County residents who enroll at Texarkana College will be considered in-district students.

Expansion and growth continue today with the addition of new programs and partnerships with surrounding school districts and high quality continuing education available to all members of the community.